Thursday, August 4, 2016

IlPom

IlPom's performance thoroughly engrossed me. Following my last post, I suppose from another angle everyone has their escape? And media provides an incredibly easy and quick access to whatever escape we want. We are spoiled, I suppose. What does being spoiled imply?

He showed us his process of making a music piece using Ableton Live, or as he calls "a well rounded cake," and his cakes just mesmerize me as does Georgetown cupcake does to many. Instrumental arrangement always fascinates me, as a well rounded arrangement creates a magical experience that transcends many experiences.

I notice that certain acoustical textures really feeds my mind; I especially love sounds that have an immense spatial quality to it. DAW softwares these days make creating reverb and delay so much easier than the past with plates and other experiments. Certain DAW's even have built-in calculations that help the user create the sound they want: how many people in the room, the exact dimensions of the room, etc.

Dr. Thomas MacFarlane has stated his observation of our attraction towards ambience sounds or sounds that create space in the imagination. I wonder if this tendency has something to do with our industrialized lives and our lack of interaction with nature. After all, mother nature never ceases to fascinate me.

Sweets don't create a sensation in my brain anymore, music does. I wonder if this will stay with me throughout my life or like any other drug, become less and less rewarding with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment