Thursday, August 4, 2016

Pokemon Going

Amidst the craze over the android and iOs app Pokemon Go, I witnessed for the first time the shock and craze that disappoints and confuses me. As I walked up the stairs to 60th St and 5th Ave, I saw a thick crowd of people taking over the sidewalks of central park, with more swaths of people walking towards the direction with their hands down and back slouched. The image of their slouch is nothing short of this depiction:


And it haunts me yet again. What message does the medium portray? Are people just too bored nowadays to allow an engrossment with a game like this? And why does this happen? Are people just too unhappy and unsatisfied with their lives to devote hours of their week in this game? What do they really get out of it? 

I feel lucky that I am not one of those people. I thought that I should try it out to understand the drive behind the craze but after playing a few games nothing about it addicts me at all. I always found it humorous when I see people on the street looking at their phone and not at their surroundings. What of our surroundings are short of amusement? I like to observe the way the light is reflected on different surfaces, why they do, and what imagery it creates. I like to ponder about things but I also like to be present. I find that staying present often allows the mind to glean into insights that your mind would otherwise be too fatigued to understand. 

This craze, to me, is just another phenomenon which shows human kind's lack of introspection and reckless engrossment with amusement. This phenomenon is purely crazy to me, but then I suppose human kind is never short of craze. 

No comments:

Post a Comment